Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Prayer . . . for the Weary

Here in Australia I remember reciting what we call "the Lord's prayer" at school assembly (parade) every morning. I don't really think it did a lot for my spiritual development. In fact, I think it probably turned a fantastic piece of teaching by Jesus into a repetitious paragraph void of any meaning whatsoever. I think that only recently have I come to appreciate some of the real meaning and teaching behind this 'model' prayer.
Like most followers of Jesus, I've often heard advice and explanations about this prayer. But for so long I don't think I was ever really inspired by it because of the boring act of repeating this prayer from my school days. Having said that, I know there are people who feel very close to God every time they say this prayer, and that I'm sure is the whole aim of prayer.
But for me, I think God knew I wasn't wired up to learn that way. For something to become true and real to me I would have to experience some kind of 'reality', or 'revelation' about prayer or God himself. Prayer would need to be something more than reciting words over and over. I think I began to understand more about prayer when I realised the power of the first 2 words Jesus said.
"Our Father". You know, I'm sure there were a bunch of words Jesus could have used to introduce God to us. Like, 'Creator', or 'Powerful Being', or 'Lord of the Universe'. But he chose the words, Our Father.
Right at the beginning of this teaching there is Relationship. Now I'm no scholar, but I reckon that if we were to move on to Jesus next point without getting the first, I think we would be missing something important.
It seems that prayer without this relationship would be like writing a letter to someone else's loved one pretending to be them. It's a bit like reading someone else's mail - you read and understand the words, but you're just not part of it. Is it possible that we need to stop all pretense and ask ourselves, "Do I know the one I'm praying to"?
This isn't a accusing statement; I just want to be real. It doesn't matter at what depth or level you think you know God - some are just starting out on this road to friendship with Jesus, and others have been on the road a long time - what matters is honesty! Do you believe that God would want you to continue this pretend friendship, or do you think he wants us to get this right and be known to you as a loving, interested Father? If we really believe that reciting a 'list' of requests to the heavens, hoping that there is some sort of Karma going on then there is a good chance that you don't know the Father that Jesus knew. You only have to imagine yourself as a parent putting these expectations on your own kids to realise how wrong the concept is. This kind of 'praying' can only lead to ritual and weariness. I say weariness because your joy in prayer will be based on how well you perform - Did you pray the right way? Did you say the right things, in the right order? Did you spend enough time? These things are so unnatural in good family relationships; why do we think that God is different?
Jesus said, "Come to me if you're weary . . . ". Do you think he made the invitation just so he could punish you when you came to him? God loves us so much more than our lists and attempts to reach him. Human attempts to reach God are wearying and useless. He's the one who made the invitation in the first place, with just a couple of strings attached: 1. Come with simple, child-like trust; and 2. Come with honesty. Remember, God knows your failings, and yet still invites you. He also knows your true spiritual state; so why try and pretend different? Come as you are.

Talk again . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment