Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Perfection . . .

Perfection can be a scary word, especially if you're thinking about God, and Jesus, and spiritual stuff. There's a scary verse in the New Testament where Jesus tells us, " . . . But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect" (Matthew 5:48 NLT). It seems a bit strange when you first read it, because it's a bit like asking me to fly - I just can't do it! Could there be another meaning here that's more reasonable and attainable?
When you look at the Bible and it's accounts of people's lives and their stories you can see their imperfections as well as well as their successes. Is it possible that Jesus is asking us to do something that's impossible to do? I don't think Jesus is asking this.
I know from the standpoint of a parent it is unfair to expect your children to achieve something that's impossible. We all know what it's like to attempt the impossible, and fail. Sure, there are some things that you can get better at with practice, but not perfection! Sometimes when my children were little they would made mistakes and I would punish them. Looking back I can see how wrong that was of me. Accidents happen, and failure is a part of life. I know from my own reading of the scriptures that throughout history God was more than pleased to deal with imperfect people.
No, I don't think that perfection (as we know it) is what he's asking.
This is an extremely important thing to come to grips with. Because if I believe that God wants perfection from me the chances are I won't even bother trying. As I look around me I see that this may be exactly where some people are at. You may be a believer, and you may even follow Jesus' teachings, but you don't even bother trying to relate to God as a loving, compassionate heavenly Father because you think his expectations are just too high for you.
My opinion is that this would be an incredible shame - for you to think that God demanded perfection from you when Jesus was talking about something completely different.
Now, I don't consider myself a Bible scholar, but I do know that this word 'perfect' is better understood when we use the word 'complete'. Just say you were building a model plane and you followed the instructions exactly as they were written. When it's finished it is complete, or perfect.
I think the answer to this 'perfection' is also further explained in the context of Matthew 5. Jesus is teaching thousands of people on the mountainside, and is painting pictures in their minds about who God is and how he relates to us. In these verses (45 - 48) Jesus is challenging an idea which was popular at that time - that you only have to do good to those who do good to you - that you only have to love those who love you in return. For instance, he spoke against retaliation - the idea that I'm going to do to you in return for what you do to me. He spoke about loving your enemies, and about being kind to those who are unkind to you. This was radical stuff in Jesus' time, and just as radical today to some. We live in a world where my rights are far exalted above my responsibilities.
Well here's a thought: what about God's rights? Do you and I deserve his affection and attention? What have you and I done to deserve his kindness? Do we deserve his offer to live forever with him in heaven?
I think this may have been what Jesus was really trying to say here. That God loves us in spite of our imperfections, and we should offer this same undeserved kindness to others. I think he was teaching that this is a perfect attitude, and that we should strive to be like him.
Perfection can be a terrible task-master - a real slave driver for those who desire to be complete and godly. You might need to give yourself a break and stop trying to be something you can't be. I love the statement that says, "It's okay to be fail as long as you yearn to succeed".
Talk soon . . .

1 comment:

  1. Here here! If I am to be perfect, then I will fail.
    I have to simply remember the relationship between myself and my own children, then consider Luke 11, 11 - 13, where Jesus provides an example of how much more God loves us, despite our imperfections, than we even love our own children.
    Our modern interpretations of the scriptures seem to slip at times. I don't expect perfection from my son, simply his best efforts. If he falls, I love him still, in fact wish to reach out and help. How much more then does Father God wish to reach out and help us strive towards Jesus example? (Love the model plane analogy?)
    Thanks Dave!

    ReplyDelete