Thursday, June 24, 2010

Out of Control . . . 3

In Matthew 14 in the New Testament there’s another example of someone being “out of control”. This time it’s the big fisherman named Peter who’s the central character, but I think he’s O.K. with the situation.
Once again a boatload of Jesus’ followers is doing what he’d told them to do: sailing to the other side of The Sea of Galilee. (He told them he would see them on the other side). And once again the weather turns nasty a few hours into the trip, and the men are struggling to keep the boat afloat.
Someone looks up above the distant waves and sees what he thinks is a ghost moving toward them on top of the water. For a few minutes they’re terrified, until the “Ghost” calls out to them. He says 3 things:
1. Don’t be afraid
2. It’s me
3. Be courageous

Who was it? Or what was this thing, saying, Don’t be afraid, it’s me?
If you know the end of this story, then switch your knowledge off for a moment. Now try and put yourself in the boat with these men. To see someone walking on water must have played with their senses. Try it: we all know that it can’t be done! You could say that their predictable world just became unpredictable. On a similar occasion when Jesus calmed a stormy sea someone said quietly, Who is this man who can do these things?
Personally, I don’t think we do unpredictable very well. Generally speaking I think that we like to know when and how things are going to happen. We like to be in control. But tell me: how is a supernatural God going to get your attention if you think he is entirely predictable?
If we were there in the boat that day we would have heard Jesus say, in his language, “The I Am is here”. In other words, Jesus was saying, I am in total control of the water, the boat, the waves, and the outcome. And I’m here. But you need to trust me, and not be afraid. In fact, he didn’t just say don’t be afraid, but he also said, be courageous. I think that means going on the offensive! Act and speak like you’re not afraid. Let your talk be like Jesus is in control.
Now Peter is about to put his own faith to the test. After Jesus says this, Peter calls out, Lord if it’s really you then call me to come out to you on the water. (I think that I’ve heard this story so many times it’s lost its ‘wonder’ factor). This is an amazing request when you think about it. Don’t miss the amazing, incredible, and ridiculous thing he’s saying. He wants to get out of the boat and walk on the water! You and I may have heard this story many times but for Peter this is a first, I’m sure! He is actually requesting an ‘out of control’ experience.
I don’t know what Peter’s personal life was like, but I can’t help but wonder if he was simply fed up with the mundane, predictable, day to day experiences that made up his life? I wonder if his unspoken prayer was something like: Jesus, I’m tired of the predictable. If you call me – If I hear you say my name, I’m going to get out of a perfectly good boat and walk with you on top of the water.
We can’t know for sure what was going on in his head, but we do know that Jesus did call him, and Peter did get out of the boat, and did walk on top of the water.
This blog has nothing to do with telling people to try walking on water, but it has everything to do with doing what Jesus is inviting you to do. If you don’t believe Jesus is who he said he was then this isn’t for you. But if you are a believer then you may need to realise that Jesus may be inviting you to get “out of control”, and out of your depth, because he himself might be waiting for you in the stormy weather. You may have to answer the question: Do I want to stay 'safe', or do I want to be where Jesus is?
Talk soon . . . dmd





No comments:

Post a Comment