Saturday, January 8, 2011

A few days ago my wife was out walking and came across a badly injured budgerigar just sitting in the grass beside the road. (They're a colourful, domestic bird that must have escaped it's owner's cage). It seems to have been attacked by a cat, or possibly another bird. So it's just sitting there, too injured and traumatized to fly away or run in fright. She brought it home and we put it in a box with some water and seed, hoping that it might recover. After an hour or so we gave it to a neighbour who keeps birds, and he put it in a separate cage to try and help it to get better.
I couldn't help but think that this bird is a lot like some of us; beaten up by life, injured so badly by circumstances and stuff we don't (or can't) fight back anymore. People pass us in the street, or in our offices, and either don't know how badly we're hurt, or don't really care, or simply don't know what to do with us. Weariness, depression, and loneliness become our constant companions. We hope and wait for the right person to come along to bring healing, support, or the right words, etc.
Jesus said, "If you're weary . . . come to me and I'll give you rest . . . " (Matthew 11:28, 29).
Well, that's great isn't it! Wonderful! But where is he? Is he round here some place where I can see him? Is there something I should be doing to get his attention? How long till he finds me?
These are all good questions, and I don't think Jesus is surprised or annoyed with us for asking.
Look at Psalms 103
The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him. For he knows how weak we are; he remembers we are only dust. Our days on earth are like grass; like wildflowers, we bloom and die. The wind blows and we are gone - as though we had never been here. But the love of the Lord remains forever with those who fear him . . . (13-17 NLT)
For the person who calls themselves a 'Christ-follower', or a Christian, these words can seem contradictory to our feelings. For example, the Lord says he is like a father who is tender and compassionate; but our feelings often tell us we are alone and unloved, lacking the knowledge of his tenderness. And this is a dilemma, because we are not supposed to live life dominated by our feelings.
It's my opinion that positive thinking can only take you so far. Reciting and repeating truths has merit and can help break bad habits in our thinking, but I believe there is another level of 'knowing' the Lord, and his ways, that is the true beginning to finding this promised rest from our weariness and loneliness. And I believe that only the individual who is suffering can grasp this for themselves, and do something about it.
In my next blog I'll take this further and lay out some things that I have stumbled on that may help you in your journey.
For now, let me say this; what a wonderful thought that God knows that I am weak, and that I'm like dust at times - blown away by the wind.

The budgerigar died after a few hours of struggling. When it was on the street, I wonder if it would have held on longer if it knew help was on the way?
I also wonder if we would hang on with more confidence if we knew someone was looking for us and watching over us even if we couldn't see them?
Talk soon . . . . dmd

No comments:

Post a Comment